"Too many young women I think are harder on themselves than circumstances warrant. They are too often selling themselves short. They too often take criticism personally instead of seriously. You should take criticism seriously because you might learn something, but you can’t let it crush you. You have to be resilient enough to keep moving forward, whatever the personal setbacks and even insults that come your way might be. That takes a sense of humor about yourself and others. Believe me, this is hard-won advice I’m putting forth. It’s not like you wake up and understand this. It’s a process."
Hilary Clinton on How to Handle Criticism
"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it."
Leadership in the Community of Faith
Those who seek power and control over others cannot be disciples of the Son of Man, who came to serve, not to be served, and to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). Leadership in the kingdom is achieved not through power or coercion but through service and self-sacrifice. The first must become last. While the rulers of this world lord their power over their subjects, those who would lead in the messianic community of faith do so as servants, empowering others to be all that God has called them to be.
-Mark L. Strauss
30 Things I’ve Learned in These 30 Years… by Jamie Beck
1. Have a dream. Follow your dreams.
2. Failures are not mistakes, only the lessons that give us stories.
3. GO WITH YOUR GUT. Always, always, always.
4. “The only thing to fear is fear itself.” That is what I think every time I get a “little nervous”. We don’t know what is about to happen so we can’t live our lives as if we do.
5. You never know what someone is dealing with personally so be kind.
6. Knowledge is power and opportunity. Opportunity is everything.
7. You may end up loving the things you once hated.
8. Do what you love for a living so you can love what you do. It’s the only time we’ve got, might as well spend it as well as possible.
9. Money does not define happiness.
10. It is the things that people make look easy that are the hardest to do.
11. A great photograph needs no caption because it has an idea, story or message within it.
12. Never be afraid to try something new.
13. Talk about what you love.
14. Giving is better than receiving.
15. Best friends are the keepers of your life’s memories.
16. You are not the clothes you wear.
17. I would rather be in a room full of kings, than be king of the room.
18. There’s no free lunch in nature.
19. Life is too short for bad: beer, wine, coffee, food, people.
20. You never stop learning.
21. Your dreams can and should change.
22. Women get more beautiful with age.
23. The world is not as bad a place as the news can lead you to believe.
24. DON’T HAVE A BACKUP PLAN.
25. Don’t be in a hurry to graduate college, get a job, get married, have babies. Have the freedom to spend your 20s exploring yourself and the world around you.
26. “He who does not take risk, does not drink Champagne.” Risk = reward
27. Perfection is boring.
28. Like attracts like. Create the kind of work you want to keep creating. Work with the kinds of people you want to keep working with. Surround yourself with people you believe in.
29. Only the best is good enough.
30. Treat your first like your last and your last like your first.